I love Pancake Day. I have to hold my hands up and say that it was only last week that I made homemade pancakes for dinner with my housemate. We had an urge for savoury and sweet pancakes so we went all out and made cheese and ham pancakes followed by nutella and banana ones. No shame.
I will of course be eating more on Pancake Day (Tuesday 9th February).
To make things easier for you and help you show off your pancake skills, take a look my recommended toppings and tips, plus a few items you can Click & Collect from YOOHOPP before the day!
Recipe (makes 4)
100g plain flour
2 tbsp. melted butter (can substitute with oil)
300ml semi-skimmed milk
Before I say anymore, my top tip is to ditch the classic round pancakes this year and get groovy with some patterns. Take an old plastic mayo or ketchup bottle, fill it with some of the batter and then get creative and squeeze your favourite pattern over your pancakes. First pour your circle of batter and flip it once. Then, with your squeezy bottle, draw on the pancake with the squeezy bottle before flipping it back again.
Pretty cool right? So, what basics do you need?
Forget about IHOP, it’s all about YOOHOPP. All items below are available on all of our featured towns!
- First thing’s first. Don’t try and make pancakes without a non-stick frying. It will be one big flop. That’s why this BergHOFF Line 24cm Pancake Pan is necessary. For £24.99 and available from Argos, you can make the most of your batter and have perfect pancakes every time.
- Next up, a decent whisk. This Stainless Steel Quirl Whisk from Marks and Spencer will add volume to your batter mix to give you light and delicious pancakes! Grab it now for only £6.00
This next one is designed to make life easier on Pancake Day. This Clear Anchor 2 Litres batter bowl is made for mixing batters and has measurements down the side for the person who doesn’t know the recipe like the back of their hand. Available from BHS for only £7.99
I thought i’d finish with some topping suggestions which you can drizzle over your cooked pancakes.
- Philadelphia cream cheese and ham
- Grilled Mushroom and Tomato
- Caramelised onion and cheddar
- Blueberry and honey
- Nutella and banana
- Vanilla ice cream and peanut butter
- Sugar and lemon, obviously.
Thanks for reading!
Emily, YOOHOPP HQ.